Posy Ring, 16th century
a large yellow gold posy ring, engraved to the interior ‘No Riches to Content’.
Gauge: 3.6 mm
Internal diameter: 19.1 mm
This inscription is recorded twice in English Posies and Posy Rings, by Dame Joan Evans, (London, 1931), page 84.
Posy rings derive their name from the word “posy” or “Poesy” – a derivative of poetry meaning short rhyme. The rings were popular from the late medieval period onwards and were used to communicate secret messages of love between the giver and the recipient. The wearing of words against the skin was believed to increase their poignancy.
Wartski is a leading supplier of antique posy rings, to see a selection of inscriptions on rings previously in stock click here