Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna selected this clock to be shown in an exhibition in March, 1902, entitled Artistic Objects and Miniatures by Fabergé. It was held in the Von Dervise Mansion on the English Embankment, St. Petersburg and was sponsored by the Tsarina in aid of the Imperial Women’s Patriotic Society Schools. Members of the Imperial Family, including the Tsar, Tsarina and Dowager Tsarina lent their personal treasures to the display; the first exhibition of Fabergé ‘s work ever held.
It is clear from photographs of the exhibition that the clock was placed in its vitrine between a pair of Fabergé frames containing portraits of the Tsarina’s husband and her daughter Grand Duchess Olga (these now form part of the India Early Minshall Collection in the Cleveland Museum of Art). Behind the clock sat a gold mounted Fabergé book given by the Tsar to the Tsarina on the day of their coronation in May 1896 (now in the collection of the Kremlin in Moscow).