Brooch, Carl Fabergé, 1899
Enamel, Gold and Diamonds
decorated with vivid purple enamel set above a sunburst guillochage, applied with a branch of gold cherry blossom set with rose cut diamonds, a scrolling Rococo border surround highlighted with four diamonds.
Inventory number: 14039
The brooch was originally acquired from Fabergé’s shop in St Petersburg on 14th August, 1899. The ledger entry records that the jewel was purchased for a voyage to Darmstadt and Skierniewice. The Imperial family made a visit to both Darmstadt and Skierniewice in the Autumn of 1899 and would have acquired numerous gifts before their departure to present to their hosts.
The brooch was displayed as part of Japonisme: From Falize to Fabergé (Wartski, 2011) and is illustrated as number 134 in the accompanying catalogue.