Famous for their superlative craftsmanship and beautiful designs, the firm of Giuliano was established by the Neapolitan Carlo Giuliano (1831-1895), who came to London around 1860. It is believed that his first visit to the city was to accompany his then employer Alessandro Castellani. He established a workshop at 13 Frith Street in Soho and opened his first retail premises at 115 Piccadilly in 1874. The firm boasted an illustrious clientele, which included British and foreign royalty, such as King Edward VII, his wife Queen Alexandra and his sister Empress Victoria of Prussia. They also completed commissions for famous artists of the period, such as Sir Edward Burne-Jones, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Sir Edward Poynter and Charles Ricketts.