Hamilton and Inches was established by Robert Kirk inches and James Hamilton. They opened their first shop in 1866 at 90 Princes Street, Edinburgh. In 1893, the firm was awarded their first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria. They were appointed keeper and dresser of clocks, watches, and pendulums in the Royal Palaces of Scotland by King Edward VII. In 1903, Robert Kirk Inches co-founded the Edinburgh Association of Goldsmiths, Silversmiths and Watchmakers.