Contained in its original square leather case, the lid satin indicating that the jewel was retailed by the firm of Vever, and stamped
‘Anc(ienne) M(ais)on Marret et Baugrand/Vever/
19 rue de la Paix 19/
Grand Prix 1889/ Exp(ositi)on Univ(erselle) Paris 1889’.
Julien Duval and Georges Le Turcq, both students at the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs, formed a jewellery partnership in 1885 which lasted until 1894. The enamelled orchids and butterflies they made circa 1889 met with great success and their botanical studies were evidently retailed by their contemporaries, as demonstrated by the presence of the convolvulus in its original presentation box bearing the name of the jeweller Vever.