The family firm of Wièse is most famous for their exceptional jewels in the gothic taste, crafted in buttery yellow gold. The Cathedral of Notre Dame proved a recurring source of inspiration, providing the gargoyles and trefoils which characterise their work. The surface of the gold was worked to give the appearance of being antique, gently dented or treated to create a reddish bloom.
Established by Jules Wièse (1818-1890), the firm was founded in 1845.
Jules had moved to Paris from Berlin, working for J-V Morel and Froment-Meurice before opening his own workshop. In 1880, the workshop was taken over by his son Louis (1852-1923).
Jules was awarded a first-class medal at the 1855 Paris Exposition and M Magne, when contemplating his work in the display, wrote “the importance of his pieces and his brave experiments reveal, even in the most modest work, an awareness of art and beauty which deserves to be encouraged by the jury.”